Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Painted Doll



I wanted to do a blog reacting just to an image, just to see how it would go. Most people have seen Memoirs of a Geisha, and even if they haven't a Geisha is a powerful symbol of what we think of as Eastern femininity.

My reaction to Memoirs was not as positive as others. Most of my friends loved the movie and had nothing but praise for it. I hated it. The whole idea of living in debt to someone, having your virginity bought, being a dress up doll who entertains, it all seemed sickening. I want to be open to other cultures and understand that these women are highly respected for their work as entertainers and artists (contrary to popular belief, Geisha are not protitutes. That misconception was born of allied occupation in WWII, when prostitutes would mimick a Geisha's makeup. However their kimono's were worn in the traditional fashion indicating a prostitute, American's at the time were ignorant of the difference, and so all Geisha came to be known as prostitutes.). But it was all so depressing, so lonely, so... well for lack of a better word, owned.

4 comments:

Lindsey-Lou said...

My reaction to Memoirs of a Geisha was similar but also different. I actually enjoyed the film so much I own it on DVD. I see it as more of a film which gives a fairly authentic portrayal of how life was back then for women who didn’t have many options. It showed how the Geisha’s were at first sought after and praised, but then also how the history was lost and tainted during the occupation. Don’t get me wrong, nobody would ever want to see their child go through that, but it was reality for many and I feel that the film depicted this in a very moving way. Plus John Williams was the composer, you can’t go wrong there.

Queer Youth Family Resource Center said...

I didn't see Memoirs, but I'd love to. I think the portrayal of Asian women in the past and currently is really interesting. I mean, they're supposed to be demure, submissive, silent, patient, but also exotic, erotic, alluring, seductive, blah blah. Really, we can extend that to all women, but it applies to Asian women especially. Has anyone seen Samurai Girl on TBS or whatever? I haven't, but the commercials seem to give in to those stereotypes: She's strong and flexible, but gorgeous and sexual. Or Lucy Liu in Charlie's Angels -- which, come on, it's Charlie's Angels, but still. Again, this can be extended to all women, but it's interesting how prostitutes or models will use the Geisha style to arouse people.

Jessie said...

I have not yet seen Memoirs either, but I have been interested in since it came out. The Asian culture is interesting to me, especially in how their portrayals and representations of women compare to ours. The way Geishas are expected to look and behave is a double standard. Sexy but submissive, just as Cathy said. I think that these women are beautiful, yes, but if it is not helping but hindering their life and experiences, I must ask why this tradition was put into place. The film looked, to me, to make a historical account viewable to the modern population, so I do not think its purpose was to be offensive, but a modern take on something historical that negatively affected a lot of women and families.

Rachel said...

I never saw the movie. But heard about it from many of my friends and the like. They all liked it but then again, they aren't very intelligent either. I knew what a geisha in Eastern cultures was and it was not really a positive image at all. So I chose not to see the movie representing such a sad lifestyle. And in general, what Chinese women used to go through to be "beautiful". It's nothing different from our culture saying thin is oh so beautiful. Wrapping one's feet to the point of disfiguration is insane. So, with that knowledge I didn't want to see a movie about it. But glad you pointed out that Geishas weren't prostitues.